"LITTLE STAUGHTON, a parish in the hundred of Stodden, county Bedford, 3½ miles south east of Kimbolton, and 10 from Bedford. St. Neot's is its post town. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £200, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The Baptists have a place of worship.
"GREEEN END, a hamlet in the parish of Little Staughton, the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, ½ mile north of Little Staughton."
"WEST END, a hamlet in the parish of Little Staughton, the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, ½ mile south west of Little Staughton."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- There are photographs and a description of All Saints on the Bedfordshire Parish Churches website.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- All Saints Church, Little Staughton
- Church of England
- The church, supposed to have been dedicated to St. Margaret, is a building in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, south aisle with south porch and an embattled western tower of four stages, with octagonal spire, relieved by two tiers of dormers and containing. 5 bells: on the north side of the chancel is a canopied sepulchral recess, with quatrefoils on the wall below; and in the south aisle a hagioscope: the whole structure is embattled: there are sittings for 206 persons. The register dates from the year 1598. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- There is a large Baptist chapel, erected in 1766 and restored in 1878 seating 550 persons, with a burying ground attached. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St Margaret are available on microfiche for the period 1598-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- A transcript of the LittleStaughton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the LittleStaughton parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- A transcript of the LittleStaughton parish entries from Kelly's 1898 Directory of Bedfordshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Little Staughton to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL105626 (Lat/Lon: 52.250491, -0.382763), Little Staughton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)