"MAULDEN, a parish in the hundred of Redbornestoke, county Bedford, 1 mile S.E. of Ampthill, its post town, and 9 miles south of Bedford. The village is bounded on the east by a small stream which flows into the Ivel. It is chiefly agricultural, but some of the women are employed in the manufacture of straw plait and lace. The greater part of the land is arable, the remainder pasture, with about 250 acres of woodland and plantations. There are quarries of sandstone. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents under an Enclosure Act in 1796. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £438. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was erected at different periods between the 13th and 15th centuries, and was entirely restored in 1837. It has a tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains a brass bearing date 1594, and the tomb of Lady Elgin, called the "Lady in the Punch-bowl." The living was formerly held by Pomfret, the poet. The parochial charities produce about £57 per annum, of which 110 goes to the school. There is a school for both sexes in connection with the church. Tho Independents have a place of worship. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor."
"BREACH, in the parish of Maulden, county of Bedfordshire, ¼ mile west of Maulden."
"DUCK END, in the parish of Maulden, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile west of Maulden."
"GREEN END, in the parish of Maulden, county of Bedfordshire, ¾ mile east of Maulden."
"HALL END, in the parish of Maulden, county of Bedfordshire, 1¼ miles east of Maulden."
"LIMBERSEY, in the parish of Maulden, county of Bedfordshire, 1½ mile north of Maulden."
"SNOWHILL, in the parish of Maulden, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile west of Maulden."
"WATER END, in the parish of Maulden, county of Bedfordshire, 1 mile east south east of Maulden."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Maulden can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 4, Book 2 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- Church of England
- The church of St. Mary, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower and part of the north wall, and enlarged in 1838-9, under the direction of Mr. Benjamin Ferrey, architect, is an edifice of local brown sandstone, in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays; aisles, south porch and a western tower with angle turret: the east window is filled with subjects from the history of our Lord: there are two other small stained windows in the chancel and one in the tower. called "The Children's Window," the result of subscriptions raised entirely by the children of the parish. The register dates from the year 1558. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- There are Congregational, Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St Mary are available on microfiche for the period 1558-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- A transcript of the Maulden parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Topographical Gazetteer of England,
- A transcript of the Maulden parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Maulden parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Maulden parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Maulden to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL051380 (Lat/Lon: 52.030462, -0.469431), Maulden which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Maulden War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.
- The Maulden History Society was founded to preserve the heritage of the village of Maulden and the surrounding area. We are building, together with St. Mary's Church, a permanent local history archive to be maintained for future generations.
The Society holds regular meetings, usually on the last Thursday of the month, with guest speakers and provides a social gathering of people interested in their local history. Each summer they try to organise outside visits with expert guidance.