MEPPERSHALL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"MEPPERSHALL, (or MEPSHALL,) a parish, with a village, in Biggleswade district, Beds; near the Hitchin branch of the Midland railway, 2 miles N of the boundary with Herts, and 2 S by W of Shefford. Post-town, Shefford, under Biggleswade. Acres, 1,949. Real property, £2,941. Pop., 541. Houses, 114. The property is chiefly divided among seven. The manor belongs to Mrs. Woodburn and the trustees of Mrs. B. Kane. Remains of an old fortification, called the Hills, are near the church. A ruin, now used as a barn, but once a chapel supposed to have belonged to Chicksands priory, and retaining a very fine Norman door, is on Chapel farm. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £500. Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is cruciform, and partly Norman; has a central tower; and contains two old brasses."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]