"MILLBROOK, a parish in the hundred of Redbornestoke, county Bedford, 2 miles west of Ampthill, its post town, and 7 south west of Bedford. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. The women are employed in making pillow lace and plaiting straw. The land is principally arable. There was formerly a Benedictine cell to St. Alban's Abbey, which was removed to Beaulieu in Herts in 1119. A chain of hills intersects the parish nearly in the centre. The soil in the south part of the parish is of a light sandy nature, but in the north a strong clay. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents under an Enclosure Act in 1795. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £343, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, which is situated on rising ground about the centre of the village, is dedicated to St. Michael. It has a tower containing two bells. The interior of the church has a brass of a priest, and a marble monument by Westmacott to the Hon. Georgians Fox, youngest daughter of the late Lord Holland, who is also interred here. There is a charity of £6 6s. per annum, bequeathed by the late Dr. Allen for the instruction of 10 boys and the same number of girls. There is a National school."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Millbrook can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 4, Book 3 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- The Church of St. Michael and All Angels, Millbrook.
- There are photographs and a description of St Michael and All Angels on the Bedfordshire Parish Churches website.
- Church of England
- The church of St, Michael, standing upon an eminence, and commanding a fine view of the vale of Bedford, is a building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a tower containing 2 bells: the church contains busts of Lord and Lady Holland, by Westmacott, and a handsome monument to their daughter: the church was restored in 1857, and in 1890 was new-roofed, at a cost of £700. The register dates from the year 1550. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St Michael are available on microfiche for the period 1550-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- A transcript of the Millbrook parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Millbrook parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Millbrook parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Millbrook to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL012386 (Lat/Lon: 52.036579, -0.526081), Millbrook which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Millbrook War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.