MILLBROOK: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"MILLBROOK, a parish and a village in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands on an eminence, 1½ mile W of Ampthill, and 1½ SSE of Ampthill railway station; commands a fine view of the vale of Bedford; and has a postal letter-box under Ampthill. The parish comprises 1,450 acres. Real property, £2,446. Pop., 430. Houses, 84. The property belongs to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £295. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is later English, with a tower; was restored in 1857; and contains two busts and a handsome monument to the family of Lord Holland. There are a national school, and charities £6. A Benedictine priory, a cell to St. Albans, was here, but was removed in 1119 to Beaulieu."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]