OLD WARDEN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"OLD WARDEN, a parish, with a village, in Biggleswade district, Beds; 1½ mile NNE of Southill railway station, and 3½ N of Shefford. Post-town, Biggleswade. Acres, 3,330. Real property, £4,760. Pop., 597. Houses, 118. The manor belongs to W. H. Whitbread, Esq. W. House is the seat of Lord Ougley. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1135, by W. L'Espec; and is now a fine ruin. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Southill. The church is good; and there is a national school."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]