Hide

RIDGMONT: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.

hide
Hide
Hide

[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]

"RIDGMONT, a parish and a village in Woburn district, Beds. The village stands 1 mile SSE of a station of its own name on the Bedford and Bletchley railway, and 2¾ NE of Woburn; and has a post-office under Woburn. The paris comprises 2,248 acres. Real property, £2,814. Pop., 1,029. Houses, 217. The manor and most of the land belong to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. value, £233. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The new church was built in 1855; and is in the decorated English style, with tower and spire. The old church is now used only for burials. There are a large Baptist chapel, a handsome Wesleyan chapel, a national school, a British school, and charities £70."

[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]