Hide

SHILLINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.

hide
Hide
Hide

[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]

"SHILLINGTON, (or SHILTINGTON,) a parish, a village, and a sub-district, in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands 3 miles WSW of Henlow railway station, and 5¼ NW of Hitchin; and has a post-office under Hitchin. The parish contains also Pegsdon and Lower Stondon hamlets. Acres, 5,030. Real property, £8,393. Pop. in 1851, 1,598; in 1861, 1,788. Houses, 365. The manor belongs to the Rev. G. Musgrave. Coprolites are largely worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £128. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is decorated and later English. There are chapels for the Independents and Methodists, a large school, a library and reading-room, alms-houses for four widows, and other charities, £13. - The sub-district contains five parishes and a part. Acres, 12,242. Pop., 4,188. Houses, 869."

[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]