"SOULDROP, a parish in the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 10 miles north-west of Bedford, its post town, and 5 south of Higham Ferrers. The village is wholly agricultural. A few of the females are employed in the manufacture of lace. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Knotting, in the diocese of Ely. The church, dedicated to the holy Trinity or to All Saints, has a spired tower containing three bells. There is an infant school, founded by the Duke of Bedford, who is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Souldrop can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 1, Book 1 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- Church of England
- The church of All Saints, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower and spire, in 1861, from designs by Mr. Glutton, architect, is a very handsome building, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, with vestry, north transept, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western tower with octagonal broach spire, relieved by two tiers of dormers, and containing 3 bells: the chancel has a stone groined roof, and the capitals of the chancel arch and other features display some splendid specimens of stone carving, by Earp, of London: the windows in the chancel are stained: one ancient Latin inscription to John Hanger, 1608, has been preserved: there is another to William Robinson, 1701; the old church partly fell at Christmas 1795, and in 1800 was rebuilt from plans by Mr. Robert Salmon, at the cost of John 6th Duke of Bedford K.G. ; in 1860-61 it was again rebuilt at the expense of William, 8th Duke of Bedford: here are 180 sittings. The register dates from the year 1670. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for All Saints are available on microfiche for the period 1670-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- Pillow lace is made here to a small extent. William Clarence Watson esq. J.P. Colworth, is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel and clay. [Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- A transcript of the Souldrop parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Souldrop parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- A transcript of the Souldrop parish entries from Kelly's 1898 Directory of Bedfordshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Souldrop to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP985616 (Lat/Lon: 52.24378, -0.558772), Souldrop which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Souldrop War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it