SOUTHILL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"SOUTHILL, (or SOUTH-HILL,) a parish and a township in Biggleswade district, Beds. The township lies adjacent to the Midland railway, 3¼ miles SW of Biggleswade; contains a village of its own name; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office under Biggleswade. Real property, £3,890. Pop., 619. Houses, 122. The parish contains also the hamlets of Broom and Stanford, and comprises 6,180 acres. Pop., 1,391. Houses, 291. The manor belongs to Lord Ongley. S. Park belonged formerly to Lord Torrington, and belongs now to W. H. Whitbread, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with Old Warden, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £384. Patron, W. H. Whitbread, Esq. The church is ancient. There are a Baptist chapel and a free school."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]