Hide

Stagsden

hide
Hide

[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"STAGSDEN, a parish in the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 4½ miles south-west of Bedford, its post town, and 8 north east of Newport Pagnell. The village, which is extensive, is situated near the river Ouse, and on the main road from Newport Pagnell to Wolverhampton. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is a stiff clay. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £240. The church, dedicated to St. Clement, or St. Leonard, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower and five bells. The interior contains a brass of the Cooke family. It has been thoroughly restored, chiefly at the expense of the late Lord Dynevor. There is a free school for both sexes. The Independents have a chapel. There is a chalybeate well in the village. The heirs of Lord Dynevor are lords of the manor."

"BURY END, a small hamlet in the parish of Stagsden, the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 1 mile north of Stagsden."

"DUCKSWORTH, a small hamlet in the parish of Stagsden, the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 3 miles south west of Stagsden."

"NORTH END, a small hamlet in the parish of Stagsden, the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, 2 miles west north west of Stagsden."

"STAGSDEN WEST END, scattered houses in the parish of Stagsden, county of Bedfordshire, 1¼ miles south west of Stagsden."

"WICK END, a small hamlet in the parish of Stagsden, the hundred of Willey, county Bedford, ½ mile north of Stagsden."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
Hide
topup

Census

topup

Churches

topup

Church History

  • Church of England
    • The church of St. Leonard, situated on an eminence near the centre of the village, is an ancient edifice of stone, erected in the Transitional period between the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave of five bays, with clerestory, north transept or chapel, south aisle, porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: on the north side of the church are the remains of a rood-loft and an arched recess: in the south aisle are several arches : the chancel retains a piscina : there is a monumental brass to the Cocke family, dating from 1617. The register dates from the year 1670. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
  • Non-conformist
    • Here is a Congregational chapel; the Bunyan Meeting, Bedford, have freehold land here of 72 acres. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
topup

Church Records

topup

Description & Travel

  • A reading room was opened in 1896 and is supported by voluntary subscriptions. Pillow lace is made in the village, in which there is a chalybeate spring. Nearby the whole of the land in this parish was purchased in 1873 by the Crown, which also owns the manorial rights. [Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
topup

Gazetteers

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP983491 (Lat/Lon: 52.131471, -0.56532), Stagsden which are provided by:

topup

Military History

  • The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Stagsden War Memorial transcription for WW1 and WW2 with details of the men found on it