STEVINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"STEVINGTON, (or STEVENTON,) a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Bedford; on the river Ouse, 2 miles WNW of Oakley railway station, and 5 NW of Bedford. It has a postal pillar-box under Bedford. Acres, 1,950. Real property, £2,606. Pop., 606. Houses, 148. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £204. Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is ancient. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, a handsome school of 1863, and alms-houses with £40 a-year."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]