SUTTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.
[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]
"SUTTON, a parish with a village, in Biggleswade district, Beds; 1½ mile S of Potton railway station. Post-town, Potton, under St. Neots. Acres, 2,230. Real property, £3,391. Pop., 438. Houses, 70. The manor belonged to John of Gaunt; was given by him, along with Potton, in a rhyming conveyance, to Sir Roger Burgoyne; and, with S. Park, belongs now to Lieut. Col. Sir J. M. Burgoyne, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £362. Patron, St. John's college, Oxford. The church is good; and there are a free school, and charities £30. Stillingfleet was rector."
[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]