"TINGRITH, a parish in the hundred of Manshead, county Bedford, 4 miles south-east of Woburn, its post town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £176. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, contains a brass of R. Hogeson, bearing date 1611. It has recently undergone extensive alterations. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. The Misses Trevor are ladies of the manor and sole landowners."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Tingrith can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 5, Book 2 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- St. Nicholas's Church, Tingrith
- Church of England
- The church of St. Nicholas is a building of stone, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells; the font, a good specimen of Early English, is a decagon, with clustered shafts: there is a brass on the north chancel wall; to Robert Hogeson esq. 1611: the church was repaired in 1845-6, at a cost of over £5,000, under the direction of the Misses Trevor and the rector: there are four stained memorial windows to members of the family of Tanqueray, including one to the Rev. Edward Tanqueray LL.B. 59 years rector of this parish, 1787-1846: the east and west windows and others are also stained: there are sittings for 200 persons. The register dates from the year 1572. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St Nicholas are available on microfiche for the period 1572-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- There is a clubroom, erected in 1858, and used for entertainments. Tingrith Manor is an ancient building, standing in a park of about 120 acres, ornamented by a sheet of water, and is the residence of Col. Hanbury Barlay J.P. Mrs. Trevor-Battye is lady of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is marl, clay and sand; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and peas. The area is about 1,110 acres of land and 9 of water ; rateable value, £1,356; the population in 1891 was 155. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- A transcript of the Tingrith parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Tingrith parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Tingrith parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tingrith to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL006322 (Lat/Lon: 51.979166, -0.536702), Tingrith which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Tingrith War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.