Hide

TODDINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.

hide
Hide
Hide

[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]

"TODDINGTON, a parish, a small town, and a sub-district, in Woburn district, Beds. The town stands 2 miles from Harlington railway station; presents an ancient appearance; is very irregularly built; carries on strw-plait manufacture; and has a post-office under Dunstable, a fine ancient church, three dissenting chapels, a national school, alms-houses with £24 a-year, other charities £71, and four annual fairs. - The parish comprises 5,390 acres. Real property, £9,946. Pop., 2,433. Houses, 505. The manor, with T. Park, belongs to Major C. Cooper. T. manor was formerly the residence of the Duke of Cleveland, and of the Earl of Strafford; and it gave concealment for some time to the Duke of Monmouth, after the battle of Sedgemoor. Some Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £830. Patron, J. Clegg, Esq. - The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 12,812. Pop., 4,913. Houses, 1,012."

[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]