Hide

WILSTEAD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1866.

hide
Hide
Hide

[Transcribed information from The Imperial Gazatteer of England & Wales, 1866-9]

"WILSTEAD, (or WILSHAMSTEAD,) a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Bedford; on the Midland railway, 4 miles S of Bedford. It has a post-office under Bedford. Acres, 3,027. Real property, £4,604. Pop. in 1851, 923; in 1861, 1,032. Houses, 216. The property is divided chiefly among five. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400. Patron, the Rev. Lord John Thynne. The church was repaired and enlarged in 1851. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £20 a-year, and charities £11."

[Description(s) transcribed by Craig Pickup ©2002]