"WRESTLINGWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Biggleswade, county Beds, 6 miles north east of Biggleswade, 10 south of St. Neot's, and 2 south east of Potton. The village is situated on the road from Cambridge to Bedford, near the river Rhee. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £148. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, The Independents have a chapel. There is a mixed National school. The charities produce about £62 per annum."
"WATER END, a hamlet in the parish of Wrestlingworth, county of Bedfordshire, ½ mile south south west of Wrestlingworth."
by Colin Hinson ©2013
- The 1851 Census Index for Wrestlingworth can be found in the 1851 Index to Census of Bedfordshire, Volume 3, Book 2 available from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- Church of England
- The church of St. Peter is a building of stone and cobbles, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, aisles and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 1 bell : in the chancel is a stained window to the Rev. W. C. Twiss, for 10 years curate and 52 years rector of the parish, d. Sept. 23, 1888. The whole edifice was thoroughly repaired in 1847: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1578. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898
- The Congregational chapel, erected 1887, will seat 160 persons. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- Church of England
- The parish record transcripts for St. Peter are available on microfiche for the period 1578-1812 from the Bedfordshire Family History Society.
- Under the provisions of the "Divided Parishes Act, 1882," a detached part of Cockayne Hatley has been added to this parish. [Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]
- A transcript of the Wrestlingworth parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Wrestlingworth parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1835 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Wrestlingworth parish entries from The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1866-9
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wrestlingworth to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL258476 (Lat/Lon: 52.112423, -0.164317), Wrestlingworth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The BFHS Project in conjunction with Roll of Honour contains the Wrestlingworth War Memorial transcription with details of the men found on it.