In 1927 "The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire" states as follows:
This parish covers 1281 acres, of which 615 are arable and 564 permanent grass. There are 28 acres of woods, Ramacre Wood, Wallace Wood, Snakes Meadow and Jacobs Wood being the names of small woods in the parish. The soil is strong clay, and the subsoil clay, the principal crops being wheat, beans, barley and oats. the slope of the ground varies little, being from 303 ft. to 324 ft. above the ordnance datum.
The village is small, and consists mainly of thatched cottages built round the green. At the west end of the green, in one of the prettiest churchyards in the county, is the parish church. Opposite the church porch is the base of an ancient stone cross. South of the church is the vicarage, an early 19th century building. The house which it replaced has been described in a terrier of 1674 as containing 'four Bays of Building covered with straw'. [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]
Astwood in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies six miles north-east of Newport Pagnell, on the road to Bedford. The manor descended from the Paganells, who possessed it immediately after the conquest, to the Somerys, Suttons, and Botetorts; being afterwards divided, one moiety became the property of the Rokeleys, and (being called the manor of Rokeleys, or Church-end) passed to the families of Alban, Ingelton, Tyrell, and Chibnall. It was sold by the latter in 1667, to trustees, for the use of John Thurloe, formerly Cromwell's secretary, then by attainder rendered incapable of acquiring or possessing any estate in his own name in England. Thurloe's daughter brought it in marriage to Francis Brace, attorney-at-law, whose son was the proprietor in 1735: it is now the property of Robert Trevor esq. The other moiety of the manor constituting the estate, called the manor of Astwood-Bury, passed from the Boterots to the Lords Zouche, of Harringworth, and afterwards to the families of Hardwood and Norwood. Tyringham Norwood esq. whose ancestor acquired this manor by purchase, in the year 1540, sold it about the year 1620, to Samuel Cranmer esq. a collateral descendant of the archbishop. Sir Cæsar Cranmer, and Mr. Brace, are both described by the editors of the Magna Britannia, published in 1720, as having seats at Astwood. The manor of Astwood-Bury is now the property of William Lowndes Stone esq. whose grandfather William Lowndes esq. purchased it before the year 1752. The old mansion at Astwood-Bury, described by Browne Willis as one of the finest old seats in the county, (and said to have been built by one of the Lords Zouche,) was pulled down in 1799.
In the church are memorials of the families of Cranmer and Lowndes; among the latter is the monument of William Lowndes esq. auditor of the Exchequer, who died in 1775: he was son of Mr Lowndes, secretary to the Treasury: the great tithes of this parish, which were given by the founder of Tickford priory to that monastery, are now the property of Mr. Trevor: the vicarage is in the gift of the crown.