Before the Norman Conquest, Wilaf, a thegn of Earl Lewin held the manor of Barton, but before 1086 it had passed to the Bishop of Bayeux, for whom it was held at that time by Ernulf de Hesding. Later it appears to have come into the possession of the Earls of Pembroke and was held by William de Vallence in 1284-6.
Around the middle of the 16th century there appears to have been some bother between the lord of the manor and his tenants. The tenants accused him of wrongfully inclosing 30 acres of land near to the church, called Porter's Lees. This land should have been common for half the year, and there had always been a common highway to drive cattle through, and for carriages to use to and from the village, there had also been a passage through, to and from the church.
This wrongful inclosure, resulted in the tenants being greatly inconvienced. The lord of the manor had many complaints made against him and was obviously not thought very highly of, and at one stage was accused of having wounded one of the complainents in an affray which had occurred on the lees, however he stated that he had not been anywhere near this event, but was standing near his house, and the bow and the arrows he had under his girdle, were merely to shoot at rabbits around the house, the arrow he had shot was to defend his son when he saw him attacked.
The official Act for inclosing the lands of the parish was passed in 1812.
see also 'Descriptions and Travel'