BOW BRICKHILL, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies about two miles nearly east of Fenny Stratford. The manor was anciently in the Giffards, Earls of Buckingham, afterwards successively in the families of Cauz, Fermband, and Stafford: about the year 1520, it belonged to the family of Watson, from whom is passed, in 1626, to Sir Francis Brown; Sir William Boreman died seised of it in 1697; it has since passed through several hands, and is now the property of the Duke of Bedford, having been purchased by the late duke of Francis Moore esq. in the year 1792.
The parish church stands in a very exposed situation, at the edge of a steep hill, and is a very conspicuous object, seen at the distance of many miles: there is no house near it; the village lies on the side of the hill, about a quarter of a mile lower down. The church was for many years suffered to go to decay, being reduced to a mere shell; during which time, divine service was performed at a school-house in the village, which was built by the Perrot family, and endowed by them in 1633. The church was repaired by Mr. Browne Willis the antiquary, in 1757, since which time divine service has been performed in it as formerly. The advowson of the rectory, which had till then been always annexed to the manor, was sold to Sir William Ashton, about the year 1630: Sir William Buck (descended by a female heir from the Ashtons) was patron in 1757; the advowson is now the property of the Rev. Dr. Dupré, of Great-Berkhamsted. This parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament, passed in 1790, when an allotment of land was assigned to the rector in lieu of tithes.