BRADENHAM, in the hundred of Desborough and deanery of Wycombe, lies about four miles north-west of High-Wycombe. The manor belonged in the 13th century to the Earls of Warwick: towards the end of that century it came into the possession of the Bradenhams, (who took their name from the village,) and was afterwards successively in the families of Falwesley, Wiltshire, Botiler and Scot. After this, Bradenham was for many years a seat of the noble family of Windsor, having been purchased in 1500 by Sir Andrews Windsor, who was, in 1529, created Lord Windsor of Bradenham. In 1566 Queen Elizabeth, being on her return from the university of Oxford, was most sumptuously entertained at Bradenham, by Edward, Lord Windsor, whose kinsman, Miles Windsor, spoke an oration on the occasion, which was highly commended by her majesty. This Lord Windsor, by his last will, directed a hospital to be founded at Bradenham, for six poor men, the rector Bradenham to be the master, and to have 20 marks a-year as an augmentation to his living; and he requested that letters patent might be procured to incorporate the said rector and poor men, by the name of the master and brethren of the hospital of Bradenham. His executors seem altogether to have neglected their trust, as far as related to the foundation of this hospital, which never took place. About the year 1640, Bradenham became the seat of Sir Edmund Pye bart. who purchased the manor of the Windsor family. Sir Edmund left issue two daughters, the elder of whom married John Lord Lovelace, whose daughter and heir (being also the representative of the Wentworth family, and Baroness Wentworth in her own right) married Sir Henry Johnson, and died without issue in 1745, when this, and other estates, devolved to the present Viscount Wentworth, [footnote: as descended from Sir William Noel, who married Margaret, elder daughter of the first Lord Lovelace, by Lady Anne Wentworth], who in 1787 sold it to John Hicks esq. Bradenham-House was built by William Lord Windsor, the second of that title, but it has not much the appearance of antiquity, having undergone several alterations: it has lately been let by Mr. Hicks, together with the manor and demesne lands, on a lease of 21 years, to Peregrine Dealtry esq. The parish church contains nothing worthy of note, excepting the tomb of Joanna Mitchen, who died at the age of 103. A chapel on the north side of the chancel was built by William Lord Windsor, in 1542, as appears by an inscription round the cornice of the ceiling; in this chapel is a monument for Elizabeth, younger daughter of Sir Edmund Pye, and her husband, the Hon. Charles West, who died without issue. The advowson of the rectory has been always attached to the manor. Catherine Lady Pye left lands for the purpose of educating poor children of this and some other parishes in Buckinghamshire.