The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"Murray's Buckinghamshire Architectural Guide." editors John Betjeman & John Piper, London, 1948
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Milton Keynes & Wolverton area, Volume 6", Peter Quick.
- War memorials in Broughton have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Milton Keynes & Wolverton area, Volume 6", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- War memorial details are also available online on the Roll of Honour web site.
In 1642 there were 23 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £6.15.2 of which sum Mrs Sar. Duncombe widow contributed £3.0.0
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 34 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Broughton.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 157 inhabitants in 36 families living in 32 houses recorded in Broughton.
|Census Year||Population of Broughton|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
The original copies of the parish registers for St. Lawrence, Broughton have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
|Christenings||1654 - 1812|
|Marriages||1655 - 1837|
|Burials||1655 - 1811|
Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:
1576 - 1837
|Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society|
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Broughton showed the following numbers:
|Broughton, St. Lawrence||75 - Afternoon General Congregation |
28 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
103 - Afternoon Total
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Broughton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Broughton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Broughton was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
BROUGHTON, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies three miles from Newport-Pagnell, on the road to London. The manor was held under the heirs of Hugh de Bolebec, as early as the year 1200, by a family who took their name from the village. William Pawlet, Lord St. John, who married one of the co-heiresses of John Broughton esq. sold it in 1572 to the Duncombes, of whom it was purchased in 1746, by Barnabas Backwell esq. It is now the property of his representative, William Praed esq.
In the parish church are memorials of the families of Broughton, Duncombe, and Chester. The advowson of the rectory has always been annexed to the manor. A yearly payment was alloted to the rector in lieu of tithes, by an act of parliament which passed in 1748.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP895401 (Lat/Lon: 52.052071, -0.696204), Broughton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)