The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
- War memorial details are available online on the Roll of Honour web site.
In 1642 there were 55 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £3.2.4 of which sum Mr Knight rector and Mr Harrison, each contributed £0.10.0
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 57 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Calverton.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 321 inhabitants in 72 families living in 64 houses recorded in Calverton.
|Census Year||Population of Calverton|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
The original copies of the parish registers for All Saints, Calverton have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
|Christenings||1559 - 1866|
|Marriages||1559 - 1836|
|Banns||1757 - 1898|
|Burials||1559 - 1942|
Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows::
1696 - 1753
|Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society|
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Calverton showed the following numbers:
|Calverton, All Saints||65 - Morning General Congregation |
37 - Morning Sunday Scholars
102 - Morning Total
160 - Afternoon General Congregation
|Calverton, Independent||25 - Evening General Congregation |
25 - Evening Total
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Calverton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Calverton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Calverton was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
CALVERTON, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies a mile to the south of Stony-Stratford. The manor passed by marriage from the Bulbecs to the noble families of Vere, Neville, and Percy. Henry, Earl of Northumberland, sold it about the year 1616 to Sir Thomas Bennet, from whose family it passed by a female heir to an ancestor of the Marquis of Salisbury, who is the present proprietor and patron of the rectory. The west side of Stony-Stratford, which was formerly in the parish of Calverton, has been made a separate parish by act parliament. The parish of Calverton, and the west side of Stony-Stratford, were inclosed in 1782, when an allotment of land was assigned in lieu of tithes.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP791390 (Lat/Lon: 52.043763, -0.84809), Calverton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)