The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Newport Hundred, Volume 1", Peter Quick.
In 1642 there were 64 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £4.12.0 of which sum Mrs Phil. Hocknell contributed £1.0.0
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 69 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Castlethorpe.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 260 inhabitants in 65 families living in 56 houses recorded in Castlethorpe.
|Census Year||Population of Castlethorpe|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):
The original copies of the parish registers for St Simon & St Jude, Castlethorpe are still held by the parish
Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:
1564 - 1812
|Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society|
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Castlethorpe showed the following numbers:
|Castlethorpe, St Simon & St Jude||150 - Morning General Congregation |
300 - Afternoon General Congregation
|Castlethorpe, Wesleyan Methodist |
|12 - Morning General Congregation |
36 - Morning Sunday Scholars
48 - Morning Total
48 - Afternoon General Congregation
45 - Evening General Congregation
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Castlethorpe to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Castlethorpe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Castlethorpe was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
CASTLETHORPE, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies about three miles to the north of Stony-Stratford, on the borders of Northamptonshire. At this place was the ancient castle of the barony of Hanslape, taken and demolished in 1217, by Foulkes de Brent, when it was garrisoned against the king by its owner William Mauduit, one of the rebellious barons. It is most probable that it was never rebuilt: the site exhibits traces of very extensive buildings. The manor of Castlethorpe passed as an appendage of Hanslape, from the Mauduits to the Beauchamps and Nevilles, and eventually merged in the crown. In the reign of Charles II. it was granted to Sir Thomas Tyrrell, one of the justices of the Common Pleas, whose son procured an act of parliament in 1704, to enable him to sell this manor and other estates for the payment of his debts. Some years afterwards it was purchased either of the Tyrrells, or of some person to whom it had been sold under the above-mentioned act, by Sarah Duchess of Marlborough. It is now the property of Earl Spencer, whose grandfather became possessed of it under the will of the duchess. In the parochial chapel of Castlethorpe, Which is an appendage of Hanslape, is a handsome monument in memory of Sir Thomas Tyrrell, above mentioned, who died in 1671. The parish of Castlethorpe has been inclosed by an act of parliament, passed in 1793, when an allotment of land was assigned to the corporation of Lincoln, as impropriators of the great tithes.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP800444 (Lat/Lon: 52.092173, -0.833707), Castlethorpe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)