The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Cottesloe Hundred, Volume 2", Peter Quick.
War memorials in Cheddington have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Cottesloe Hundred, Volume 2", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
In 1642 there were 46 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £8.7.4 of which sum Wn. Fowntaine jun, Jn. Howes jun, and Wm. Brewer each contributed £1.0.0
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 66 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Cheddington.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 273 inhabitants in 63 families living in 48 houses recorded in Cheddington.
|Census Year||Population of Cheddington|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
The original copies of the parish registers for St Giles, Cheddington have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
|Christenings||1539 - 1982|
|Marriages||1556 - 1989|
|Burials||1556 - 1976|
Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:
1552 - 1837
|Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society|
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Cheddington showed the following numbers:
|Cheddington, St Giles||Morning & afternoon no information. |
Evening no service
|Cheddington, Baptist Chapel||50 - Evening Total|
|Cheddington, Wesleyan |
|40 - Morning Sunday Scholars |
70 - General Congregation
80 - Evening General Congregation
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cheddington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cheddington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Cheddington was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
CHEDDINGTON, in the hundred of Cotslow and deanery of Muresley, lies about eight miles north-east of Aylesbury, and about two miles from Ivinghoe. In the reign of Edward I. the manor was in the Lucys, afterwards successively in the families of Brocas and Combe: by the latter it was sold to the Hudsons, from whom it passed by inheritance to the present proprietor, Mrs. Mary Seare. The Earl of Bridgwater is patron of the rectory.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP921174 (Lat/Lon: 51.847611, -0.664374), Cheddington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)