CLIFTON-REYNES, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies about half a mile to the east of Olney, across the river, but the nearest road to it from that town is about two miles and a half. This place took its name from the ancient family of Reynes, who possessed a manor in this parish, which passed by a female heir to the Lowes, and was sold by them to the celebrated Serjeant Maynard. From the Maynards it passed by marriage to the noble family of Hobart, and was sold about the year 1750, by the Earl of Buckinghamshire, to Mr. Small, father of the present proprietor, Alexander Small esq. who has a seat at Clifton-Reynes. Another manor, called also the manor of Clifton-Reynes, was from an early period in the noble family of Mordaunt, and was sold by the Earl of Peterborough in 1786, to John Higgins esq. of Turvey in Bedfordshire, who is the present proprietor. In the church are some ancient tombs of the families of Beauchamp, Zouche and Reynes, the only one which has an inscription, is that of Sir John Reynes, who died in 1428. Mr. Small is patron of the rectory.