The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
In 1642 there were 96 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £10.10.3 of which sum Ric. Wells contributed £1.0.0
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 46 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in the Langley Marish- Colnbrook Division.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
The original copies of the parish registers for St Thomas, Colnbrook have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
|Christenings||1760 - 1974|
|Marriages||1852 - 1983|
|Banns||1880 - 1996|
|Burials||1852 - 1933|
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Colnbrook showed the following numbers:
|Colnbrook, St Thomas||200 - Morning General Congregation |
35 - Morning Sunday Scholars
235 - Morning Total
220 - Afternoon General Congregation
|Colnbrook, Particular |
|154 - Morning General Congregation |
58 - Morning Sunday Scholars
212 - Morning Total
126 - Afternoon General Congregation
140 - Evening General Congregation
|Colnbrook, Primitive |
|19 - Morning Sunday Scholars |
30 - Afternoon General Congregation
50 - Evening General Congregation
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Colnbrook to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Colnbrook has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TQ025772 (Lat/Lon: 51.484474, -0.525226), Colnbrook which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)