The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire", E.S. Roscoe, London Methuen & Co Ltd, 1935.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 4 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Creslow.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 6 inhabitants in 1 families living in 1 houses recorded in Creslow.
|Census Year||Population of Creslow|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
During the reign of Queen Elizabeth I the rectory at Creslow was suppressed, as owing to the decrease in population the church had become a sinecure. The building was eventually desecrated. As such, there are no Parish Registers specifically for Creslow.
According to "The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. - "The inhabitants of this parish attend the church at Whitchurch".
- Buckinghamshire Records and Local Studies Service - large collection of old photos of Buckinghamshire
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Creslow to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Creslow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Creslow was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
CHRISTLOW or CRESTLOW, in the hundred of Cotslow, lies not far from Whitchurch, about six miles north of Aylesbury. The manor which belonged to the priory of St. John of Jerusalem is now the property of Lord Clifford, of Ugbrook, and has been for a considerable time in his family. The parish church was demolished in the civil war, by Cornelius Holland, one of King Charles's judges, and has never been rebuilt. There is now only one house in the parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP812218 (Lat/Lon: 51.888852, -0.821539), Creslow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)