DRAYTON-BEAUCHAMP, in the hundred of Cotslow and deanery of Muresley, lies about six miles east of Aylesbury, near the road to Tring. The manor was anciently in the Maignons, from whom it passed to the Beauchamps and Cobhams. Sir John Cobham gave it to King Edward III. who in the year 1364 granted it, together with the hamlet of Helpsthorp, to his shield-bearer Thomas Cheney, or Cheyne. Drayton continued to be one of the chief seats of his descendants, till the death of William Cheyne, Lord Viscount Newhaven, in 1728. The manor of Drayton-Beauchamp was sold by Lord Newhaven's representatives to the Gumleys, about the year 1730, and is now the property of Lady Robert Manners: the manor-house has been pulled down.
In the parish church is a brass of one of the Cheynes, who died in 1375, in armour, with a mail gorget, most probably Thomas Cheyne abovementioned. Brown Willis's notes speak of another tomb, on which the figure of a woman only remained, with the date 1468, which tradition affirms to have been that of Sir John Cheyne. In the chancel is a sumptuous monument of white marble, by Woodman, in memory of Lord Newhaven, with an upright figure of the deceased in a large flowing peruke; Lady Newhaven is represented sitting. In the north window of the nave are eight of the apostles in stained glass.
The patronage of the rectory has been always annexed to the manor. Hooker, the celebrated ecclesiastical writer, was rector of Drayton-Beauchamp, in 1584. At Helpsthorp, a hamlet in this parish, was a chapel of ease, which has been destroyed.