EAST-CLAYDON, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Waddesdon, lies about two miles and a half to the south-west of Winslow. In the reign of Edward III. the manor was in the Greys of Rotherfield, afterwards successively in the Deincourts and Lovels, and at a later period in the families of Lea and Abell. It was purchased of the latter in 1728, by Lord Fermanagh, and is now the property of his niece, Mary Baroness Fermanagh. The manor of Bottle-Claydon, a hamlet of this parish, has passed with it.
[Correction/Addition at the end of Magna Britannia states "Sir Eustace Grenville and Thomas de Haye who married two co-heiresses of Robert Darcic, baron of Coggs, alienated the manors of East-Claydon, Bottle-Claydon, and Shabbington, to Walter de Grey, archbishop of York, who conveyed them to his brother Robert, and Walter his son."]
The church of East-Claydon was demolished during the civil war by Cornelius Holland, one of King Charle's judges: it was rebuilt after the restoration. In this church are some memorials of the families of Abel and Milward. The impropriation of the great tithes, which formerly belonged to the priory of Osney, is vested in Lady Fermanagh, who is patroness of the vicarage.