FARNHAM-ROYAL, in the hundred and deanery of Burnham, lies about two miles north of Slough. The manor was, at the time of the Norman Survey, in the family of Verdon, afterward Barons Fernival, and passed from them by female heirs to the Talbots, Earls of Shrewsbury. It was held by grand serjeanty by the service of finding a glove for the king's right hand, on the day of the coronation, and supporting his right arm that day whilst he held the sceptre. In the year 1542, Francis Earl of Shrewsbury gave this manor to King Henry VIII. in exchange for other lands, reserving to himself and his descendants, the honourable office just mentioned. King Charles I. sold the manor of Farnham-Royal to certain citizens of London: after this it was many years in the family of Coke, descendants of the celebrated Sir Edward Coke, who resided in the neighbouring parish of Stoke-Poges, and it is probable purchased this manor, which, about the year 1751, [Footnote: The Coke family appointed game-keepers for this manor till 1751. Francis Godolphin was the first of that family who appointed a game-keeper in 1752.] was sold by Thomas Coke, Earl of Leicester, to the Godolphin family, and is now, by bequest of the late Lord Godolphin, the property of Lord Francis Godolphin Osborne, second son of the late Duke of Leeds.
In the parish church is a brass plate, in memory of Eustace Mascall, clerk of the works to Cardinal Wolsey, at the building of St. Frediswide, [Footnote: Meaning Christ-Church College.] in Oxford, and for seventeen years chief clerk of accounts for all the buildings of King Henry VIII. within twenty miles of London. He died in 1567, being then pistell-reader in Windsor-Castle. In this church lies buried Dr. Chandler, bishop of Durham, without any memorial. The advowson of the rectory was given by the crown to Eton College, about the year 1720. Mrs. Elizabeth Hetherington agve the sum of 140 l. towards the foundation of a charity-school in this parish in 1777. David Salter, in 1664 gave 17 l. per annum to buy loaves and white herrings for the poor, and two shillings for a pair of white kid gloves for the rector, on the first Sunday in Lent, as long as the world should last.
Sear-Green and Hedgerley-Dean, are hamlets in this parish, maintaining their own poor. There are some large and deep entrenchments at Hedgerley Dean, from whence a ditch runs westward to East-Burnham. The tradition of the neighbourhood is, that a battle was fought here between the Danes and Saxons.