"FULMER. Is in Metroland and film-land, among fields with narrow, hedged lanes interspersed with commons, where large new houses stand in small new parks. The village, in a hollow, is a collection of yellow-washed Victorian model cottages and other dwellings round a brick church (Gothic-survival) built about 1610 by Sir Marmaduke Dayrell, who is buried in a grand tomb of marble and alabaster in a round-headed recess in the chancel.." [Murray's Buckinghamshire Architectural Guide]


The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"Murray's Buckinghamshire Architectural Guide." editors John Betjeman & John Piper, London, 1948
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Burnham and area, Volume 13", Peter Quick.



The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting



In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 61 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Fulmer.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 292 inhabitants in 55 families living in 54 houses recorded in Fulmer.

Census Year Population of Fulmer
1801* 292
1811* 262
1821* 340
1831* 391
1841 355
1851 328
1861 351
1871 412
1881 428
1891 349
1901 340

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.


Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):


Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St James, Fulmer have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1658 - 1959
Marriages 1688 - 1992
Banns 1754 - 1922
Burials 1658 - 1970

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Society Library*
Dates covered
1688 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Fulmer showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Fulmer, St James 90 - Morning General Congregation
25 - Morning Sunday Scholars
115 - Morning Total

75 - Afternoon General Congregation
25 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
100 - Afternoon Total


Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Fulmer which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Fulmer has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Fulmer was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

FULMERE, in the hundred of Stoke and the deanery of Burnham, lies about six miles south-east of Beaconsfield, and about four miles west of Uxbridge, in Middlesex. The manor was purchased by Sir John Molins, of William de Montacute, in or before the year 1335: at a later period it was in the Darells. The grand-children of Sir Marmaduke Darell, who died in 1631, having squandered away their patrimony, were obliged to sell this manor to their servants, of whom it was purchased by Judge Jefferys. It is now the property of the Duke of Portland, whose ancestor bought it of Mr. Dives, son-in-law of the judge, about the year 1706.

Fulmer Place, the seat of the Darells, has been long ago pulled down; its site is occupied by a modern villa, belonging to William Frogatt esq. attorney-at-law.

Fulmer was made a separate parish and rectory, in the reign of King Edward VI. being endowed with the great tithes by the dean and canons of Windsor, in whom the patronage is vested; it was before only a chapel of ease to Datchet. The present parish church was built in the year 1610, at the expence of Sir Marmaduke Darell. It contains nothing remarkable, excepting a handsome monument for the founder, who is represented in gilt armour; his lady, who lies on his right side, is in a black hood. Sir Marmaduke Darell is styled in his epitaph, servant to Queen Elizabeth in her wars by sea and land, and cofferer to King James and King Charles I.



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU999857 (Lat/Lon: 51.561342, -0.56025), Fulmer which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

The name Fulmer derives from the words fugol, mere and means 'bird-haunted mere'.