Granborough

"This parish covers 1580 acres, of which 139 are arable and 1223 permanent grass, and is well watered by Claydon Brook and another stream which joins it. The soil is clayey loam with gravel, with a subsoil of clay and marl, the chief crops being wheat, oats, and beans. The borders of the parish lie from 300 ft. to 350 ft. above the ordnance datum, but at the centre the ground is somewhat higher, and the village stands on this ridge. It is built around the main road in rather a straggling fashion; part of it, on a road branching off at right angles towards Swanbourne, is known as Green End At the south-east of the village stands the church. There is a Wesleyan chapel dating from 1871." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]

topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: North Central Bucks, Volume 4", Peter Quick.

 

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

 

topup

Census

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 58 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Granborough.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 230 inhabitants in 52 families living in 44 houses recorded in Granborough.

Census Year Population of Granborough
1801* 230
1811* 251
1821* 286
1831* 341
1841 345
1851 359
1861 374
1871 367
1881 300
1891 301
1901 297

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1841 - Full transcription for Granborough is available free online - click here to see
  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

 

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Granborough area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):

 

topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St John the Baptist, Granborough have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1538 - 1885
Marriages 1538 - 1961
Burials 1538 - 1964

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society Publications
Dates covered
Society
Christenings
 
1538 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Marriages
1538 - 1754
1813 - 1836
 
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
Marriages
 
1538 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society
Burials
 
1538 - 1901
Buckinghamshire Family History Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Granborough showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Granborough, St John the Baptist 80 - Morning General Congregation
66 - Morning Sunday Scholars
146 - Morning Total

150 - Afternoon General Congregation
66 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
216 - Afternoon Total

Granborough, Wesleyan
Meeting House
20 - Morning Total

40 - Afternoon Total

Granborough, Wesleyan Chapel 65 - Afternoon General Congregation

100 - Evening General Congregation

 

topup

Description and Travel

 

You can see pictures of Granborough which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Granborough to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Granborough has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Granborough was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

GRANBOROUGH, in the hundred of Ashendon, lies two miles to the south of Winslow. The manor belonged formerly to the abbey of St. Alban's, it is now the property of William Selby esq. whose ancestor, Mr. Lowndes, became possessed of it about the beginning of the last, or the end of the preceding century. The church, which was originally a chapel to Winslow, was pulled down during the civil war, by Cornelius Holland the regicide: it was rebuilt after the restoration of King Charles II. The great tithes of this parish, which is within the diocese of London and archdeaconry of St. Alban's, were formerly appropriated to the abbot and convent of St. Alban's: when the parish was inclosed, under an act of Parliament passed in 1796, it appeared that Lady Fermanagh was entitled to a portion of the great tithes, and the Rev. Mr. Milward to another portion, as vicar of East-Claydon: an allotment of land was assigned to Lady Fermanagh, and corn-rents to the vicars of Granborough and East-Claydon. The vicarage of Granborough is in the gift of the crown.

 

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Granborough derives from the words grene, beorg and means 'green hill'.