HAVERSHAM, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies nearly four miles north-east of Stony-Stratford. The manor was in the Peverells at the time of the Norman survey, and afterwards in an ancient family, who took their name from the village. From the Havershams this manor passed by heirs female to the families of De la Plaunch, Pabenham, Hugford, and Lucy. John de Haversham had the king's licence to embattle his mansion at Haversham, in 1304. The Lucys continued to be possessed of the manor till after the middle of the 17th century. In 1664, it was purchased by the Thompsons: John Thompson esq. was created a peer in 1697, by the title of Lord Haversham, which became extinct on the death of his son. The manor was sold by the last Lord Haversham, in 1720, to Lucy Knightley esq. a descendant of its ancient owners, the Lucys. In 1764 it was purchased of Valentine Knightley esq. by the trustees of Alexander Small esq. the present proprietor, then under age. The manor-house, which was the seat of the Thompsons, has been in part pulled down; the remainder is fitted up as a farm-house.
In the parish church is a beautiful monument, with the effigies of a female, lying on an altar tomb, under a rich Gothic canopy, supposed to be that of Elizabeth Lady Clinton, the heiress of the De la Plaunches, whose fourth husband was Sir John Clinton.
Mr. Small is patron of the rectory. In 1763, just before he sold the estate, an act of parliament passed, to enable Lucy Knightley esq. to inclose certain fields in Haversham, and to acquire the tithes and glebe, making a compensation to the rector, by an allotment of land and a corn-rent, then valued at 195 l. per annum.