(including Fulbrook)


"This parish covers nearly 1322 acres, of which 115 are arable and 1205 permanent grass. There are only six scattered farm-houses and a few cottages. The slope of the land varies from 311 ft. above the ordnance datum on the northern border to 600ft. in the south-east of the parish. The soil is clay and sand, the subsoil clay, and the chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The church of St. John the Baptist no longer exists, but human remains have been found near its reputed site in the west of the parish." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]



The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928



In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 20 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Hogshaw with Fulbrook.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 55 inhabitants in 7 families living in 7 houses recorded in Hogshaw cum Fulbrook.

Census YearPopulation of
Hogshaw with Fulbrook

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.



Church History


Church Records

There are no parish registers for Hogshaw.


Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of Hogshaw which are provided by:




    Historical Geography

    You can see the administrative areas in which Hogshaw has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



    Hogshaw was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

    HOGSHAW, in the hundred of Ashendon, lies about five miles to the south-west of Winslow. The manor was given by Ralph Mallett to the Knights-Templars, who had preceptory here: when their order was abolished, it was granted with most of their other estates to Knights-Hospitallers. After the general dissolution of monasteries, it was granted by King Henry VIII. to the family of Lane. Having passed by a female heir to the Pigots, in 1650, it was purchased by Lord Brooke, of Beauchamp-Court, whose descendant, the present Earl of Warwick, sold it a few years ago to Mrs. Dupré, of Wilton park, in this county: it is now the property of her son, James Dupré esq.

    This parish was consolidated with East-Claydon, in the time of bishop Gardiner. Divine service continued to be performed at Hogshaw once a month, till the church was desecrated. "In the year 1720, Lord Brooke's trustees, God pardon them," (says Browne Willis,) "gave the tenant one Stevens, a quaker, leave to pull down the church, for the purpose of building an ox-house." Several of the Pigot family lay buried in Hogshaw church.

    Hogshaw, together with the hamlet of Fulbrook, contain now only seven houses. The manor or reputed manor of Fulbrook, which had belonged to the Giffords and Winwoods, passed by a female heir from the last-mentioned family to Ralph, Duke of Montagu, and is now the property of Lord Francis Godolphin Osborne.



    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP739227 (Lat/Lon: 51.897956, -0.927397), Hogshaw which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    The name Hogshaw is derived from the old english hogg-sceaga, and means 'hog-wood'.