Ickford

"The parish of Ickford covers 1249 acres, of which 146 are arable and 817 permanent grass. The chief crops grown are wheat and beans. The soil and subsoil are clay. The entire parish lies low, the highest part, which is very little over 200 ft. above the ordnance datum, being in the north. The village lies mainly round the junction of the chief roads, which meet a little south of the centre of the parish. The central portion is sometimes known as Great Ickford or Church Ickford, while the part lying further eastward is Little Ickford." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]

topup

Bibliography

The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Ashendon Hundred, Volume 5", Peter Quick and Bertrand Shrimpton.

 

topup

Cemeteries

The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

 

topup

Census

In 1642 there were 38 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £2.14.4 of which sum Thos. Bunce curate and Mr Thos. Phillipps contributed £0.10.0 each.

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 63 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Ickford.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 186 inhabitants in 68 families living in 45 houses recorded in Ickford.

Census Year Population of
Ickford (part of ***)
1801* 271
1811* 308
1821* 324
1831* 382
1841 374
1851 398
1861 416
1871 398
1881 354
1891 345
1901 319

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
***= The remainder is in Oxfordshire (Ewelme Hundred). The entire population is shown in Buckinghamshire, 1801-31.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

 

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ickford area or see them printed on a map.

topup
topup

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for St Nicholas, Ickford have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:

Event Dates covered
Christenings 1561 - 1993
Marriages 1562 - 1836
Banns 1754 - 1936
Burials 1562 - 1993

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Event
Society Library*
Dates covered
Society
Marriages
1562 - 1837
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Ickford showed the following numbers:

Church Attendance
Ickford, St Nicholas 48 - Morning General Congregation
24 - Morning Sunday Scholars
72 - Morning Total

48 - Afternoon General Congregation
25 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
73 - Afternoon Total

Ickford,
Particular Baptist Chapel
28 - Morning Sunday Scholars

71 - Afternoon General Congregation
26 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
71 [sic] - Afternoon Total

62 - Evening General Congregation
62 - Evening Total

Ickford,
Particular Baptist, South
end of the village.
35 - Morning General Congregation
35 - Morning Total

35 - Afternoon General Congregation
35 - Afternoon Total

 

topup

Description and Travel

 

You can see pictures of Ickford which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ickford to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Ickford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Ickford was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

ICKFORD, in the hundred of Ashendon and the deanery of Waddesdon, lies on the borders of Oxfordshire, about four miles and a half to the north-west of Thame. The manor appears to have been long held in moities, one of which was, as early as the commencement of the 16th century, in the family of Danvers, and was lately the property of the Hon. Butler Danvers, who married the heiress (since deceased) of the late Sir John Danvers bart. It now belongs to Mr. Roebuck. The other moiety was many years in the family of Tipping, for whom there is a monument in the parish church. Sir Thomas Tipping knt. procured an act of parliament, to enable him to sell it, in 1703. It has since been for a considerable time in the family of Snell, to whom it still belongs. The late Mrs. Crewe claimed a paramount authority in this manor, as included within her manor of Shabbington. Mr. Townsend of Newbury is patron of the rectory. Calybute Downing, a celebrated divine in the 17th century, was rector of this parish.

 

topup
topup

Names, Geographical

The name Ickford means 'Icca's ford'.