LATHBURY, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies a mile north of Newport-Pagnell, near the road to Northampton. There are two manors in this parish, one of which, called the Abbey-manor, passed by a female heir from the family of Bidun to the Gatisdens, who gave it in the year 1272 to Lavendon-abbey. At the restoration it was granted, together with the impropriate tithes and the advowson of the curacy or donative, to Chist-Church College, in Oxford. The other manor was also in the Biduns, and afterwards successively in the families of Albini, Sadelyng, Stanes, and Vaux: on the attainder of Lord Vaux, it was given to Sir Ralph Hastings, from whom it passed by a female heir to the noble family of Grey. It was sold William Lord Grey, to the Marquis of Northampton, and by him to the family of Cave, from whom it passed by marriage to the Newdegates and Hampdens. The Andrewes family became possessed of it by purchase about the year 1599: Henry Andrewes esq. of Lathbury, was created a baronet in 1661; the title is extinct. The manor is now in moieties, between Mansell Dawkins Mansell esq. and Mrs. Margaret Dalway, under the will of Mrs. Jane Symes, whose mother purchased of the representatives of the Andrewes family. Mr. Mansell has lately built a new house, in which he resides, on the site of a mansion, which was erected in or about the reign of James I. by Sir Wm. Andrewes knt. In the church are some memorials of the Andrewes family. The late learned Dr. Chelsum, who distinguished himself as a defender of Christianity against the attacks of Gibbon the hisorian, had for some time the donative of Lathbury, which is, as before observed,in the patronage of the dean and chapter of Christ-Church. The college always grants the incumbent a beneficial lease of the great tithes.
Anthony Cave founded a grammar-school at Lathbury, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, and endowed it with 12 l. per annum, for a master to be nominated by Christ-Church College, and gave two exhibitions of 6 l. each to the scholars, one of whom was to be of Christ-Church. This endowment has been lost: the school-house was pulled down in 1698, and the materials used in repairing the curate's dwelling.