LEKHAMSTED, in the hundred and deanery of Buckingham, lies about three miles and a half to the north-east of the county town. The manor was anciently in the Chastillons, who held it under the honor of Mandeville; before the year 1398, it passed, by purchase, to the Gernons, and from them descended, by female heirs, to the Tilneys and Greenways: Sir Anthony Greenway sold it, about the year 1631, to the Pyes. Sir Edmund Pye of Lekhamsted, who was created a baronet in 1641, was succeeded in this estate by his daughter, The Hon. Catherine West; on her death it became the property of her niece Martha, sister of the last Lord Lovelace, who married Lord Henry Beauclerk. It is now the property of their son, the Rev. Henry Beauclerk, who is also patron and incumbent of the rectory. Mr. Beauclerk has another estate in this parish, called Heyborne-fields manor, which, having been for a considerable time in the family of Greene, about the middle of the sixteenth century, became the property of the Wentworths of Lillingstone-Lovell, and passed from them, by a female heir, to the Cresswells. Mrs. Cresswell bequeathed it to Mr. Beauclerk's mother.
The manor, or reputed manor of Lekhamsted-Parva, alias, Lymes-end, with Nast-end, belonged to the Tyrells as early as the middle of the sixteenth century, and is claimed by their representative, Thomas Sheppard esq. of Thornton, who gives a deputation for the manor. Samuel Athawes esq. has also given a deputation for the manor of Lymes-end, as possessor of an estate at this place, purchased of the Tyrells.
In the church is a tablet, very rudely executed, to the memory of Sir Anthony Greenway the elder, who died in 1619.