LILLINGSTONE-DAYRELL, in the hundred and deanery of Buckingham, lies nearly five miles to the north of the county-town. The manor belonged anciently to the Giffards, Earls of Buckingham, from them it passed, by female heirs to the Bolbecs and Veres, under whom, as lords of the fee, it was held, at a very early period, by the ancient family of Dayrell, who came over with William the Conqueror. The settled at Lillingstone before the year 1200, and before 1306, became possessed of the fee of the manor, which has ever since continued in the family by lineal descent in the male line, being now the property of Paul Dayrell esq.
In the parish church is the monument of Dorothy Haddon, (of the Dayrell family,) mother of Dr. Walter Haddon, one of the masters of requests in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, who employed him in various embassies. We are told that he was in great esteem for his eloquence and learning. Some of his works are extant, among which is a volume of Latin Poems. He was the author of numerous epitaphs on eminent persons of his time: that on his mother, in Lillingstone church, is not a very favourable specimen of his poetical talents. In this church are several memorials of the Dayrells, the most ancient is the tomb of Paul Dayrell, who died in 1491; the latest, that of Richard Dayrell esq. who died in 1801, being the thirty-first male heir of the family. Mr. Dayrell is patron of the rectory.