LINCHLADE, in the hundred of Cotslow and deanery of Muresley, lies on the borders of Bedfordshire, about two miles north-west of Leighton-Buzzard. It had formerly a market on Thursdays, granted to William de Beauchamp in 1251. A fair was granted by the same charter, to be held for eight days at Lady-day. About that time there was a great resort of pilgrims, and frequent processions made to a holy well at Linchlade, which were prohibited in 1299, by a mandate of Oliver Sutton, bishop of Lincoln, who severly censures such resort to a profane (meaning, it is probable) an unconsecrated place. The vicar, who, for his own emolument, had encouraged these pilgrims, was cited to appear in the bishop's court. The mandate is printed in Gunton's History of Peterborough.
The manor of Linchlade was anciently in the Beauchamps, barons of Bedford, from whom it passed, by a female heir, to the Mowbrays. It was held under them by the family of Lucy, from whom it passed, by marriage, to the Corbets. Sarah, widow of Sir Vincent Corbet bart. being possessed of this manor, was created Viscountess Linchlade, in 1675: the title was limited to her life. Linchlade is now the property of Andrew Corbet esq. The great tithes, which were given by Simon de Beauchamp, to the priory of Chicksand, are now the property of Mr. Corbet, who is patron of the donative. In the parish church is the monument of Major Charles Shipman, who died in 1797, at the age of 98.