Little Woolstone


"Little Woolstone has an area of 631 acres (623 acres of land and 8 acres covered by water), of which 147 are arable land, 1 1/2 are covered by woods and plantations and the remainder laid down in permanent grass. The ground falls from the west, where it rises to 363 ft. above the ordnance datum, to about 200 ft. in the east, where the River Ouzel forms the boundary, and the land is liable to floods. The village lies in the south-east of the parish on the high road from Newport Pagnell to Fenny Stratford and on a road branching east from it. At their junction stands the Manor Farm occupied by Mr. John Sharman." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]



The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.

"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Milton Keynes & Wolverton area, Volume 6", Peter Quick.



War Memorials

War memorials in Little Woolstone have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Milton Keynes & Wolverton area, Volume 6", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.



In 1642 there were 19 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £2.0.2 of which sum Mr Roger Niccolls contributed £1.0.0

In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 25 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Little Woolstone.

In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 103 inhabitants in 25 families living in 20 houses recorded in Little Woolstone.

Census YearPopulation of Little Woolstone

* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.

Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.

Availability of census transcripts and indexes.

  • 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
  • 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
  • 1881
    • Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
    • Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
  • 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.

Church Records

The original copies of the parish registers for Holy Trinity, Little Woolstone have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years :

EventDates covered
Marriages1837 - 1962
Burials1813 - 1959

Many of the registers for Great and Little Woolstone were destroyed in a church fire. Bishops Transcripts are available at the Record Office to cover the earlier years.

Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:

Society Library*
Dates covered
1596 - 1812
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
1596 - 1818
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
1596 - 1812
Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society

* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting

An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Little Woolstone showed the following numbers:

Little Woolstone, Holy TrinityNo data given for 30 March 1851

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Little Woolstone which are provided by:




Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Little Woolstone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



Little Woolstone was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:

WOOLSTON-PARVA, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies near Woolston-Magna, a little more than three miles south of Newport-Pagnell, on the road to Fenny-Stratford. The manor was successively in the families of Paganell, Somery, Coudray, Tyringham, and Broughton. In 1575 it was purchased by the Duncombes, in whose family it continued nearly two centuries: it now belongs to Mr. Smith. Another manor, which was successively in the Giffards, Clares, and Staffords, being part of the honor of Gloucester, was some years ago in the family of Neale: It has since been the property of Sir John Riddell, and now belongs to Mr. Hanscomb of Newport.

The advowson of the rectory belonged formerly to the priory of Cumbwell, in Kent: it is now in the crown. This parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament, passed in 1791: the lands were not exonerated from tithes.



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP875393 (Lat/Lon: 52.045199, -0.725568), Little Woolstone which are provided by:


Names, Geographical

The name Woolstone means 'Wulfsige's farm'. The name Little being used as a distinguishing affix.