CRENDON or LONG CRENDON, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Waddesdon, lies about two miles north of Thame, in Oxfordshire, and about nine miles south-west of Aylesbury: it is a populous village, nearly a mile in length, and had formerly a market on Thursdays, granted in 1218 to William Earl Marshall. The manor of Crendon was anciently the property of the Giffards Earls of Buckingham, who had a seat there; Crendon park is mentioned in the survey of Domesday. The manor passed by female descent to the noble families of Marshall and Warren, afterwards divided into three parts, among their co-heirs: these became distinct manors. One of them having been in the family of Bohun, became vested in the crown, and was given to the dean and chapter of Windsor in 1478: another became the property of All-Souls College, in Oxford: the third manor was in the Mortimers: Roger Mortimer, Earl of March, gave it in exchange for other lands, in the year 1357, to Sir William Ferrars, of the Groby family. At a later period it was in the Dormers, and is now the property of the Marquis of Buckingham. In the parish church is a handsome monument to Sir John Dormer, lord of this manor, who died in 1626. The great tithes which were given to Nutley Abbey, in this parish, by its founder, Walter Giffard, are now the property of the Marquis of Buckingham, who is patron of the donative.
Walter Giffard, the second and last Earl of Buckingham of that family, in conjunction with his wife Ermengard, founded a convent of Augustine monks, in the year 1162, in his park at Crendon, to which he gave the name of Noctele, Nutley, or de Parco Crendon. The park was given by the founder to the monastery, which was dedicated to St.Mary and St. John the Baptist. William Marshall gave the monks the privilege of the pastoral staff, which was confirmed by King John. The Bohuns had afterwards the patronage of Nutley Abbey, the revenues of which at the dissolution were valued, according to Dugdale, at 437 l. 6s. 8d1/2. Per annum. Richard Ridge, the last abbot, had a pension assigned him by the crown of 100 l. per annum in lieu of his office. The site of the abbey was granted by King Edward VI. to Sir William Paget; it was afterwards for a considerable time in the family of Lenton, from whom it passed to the Berties. It is now, together with the manor of Nutley, the property of Mr. Reynolds, a farmer, who resides in the remains of the Abbey-house. A great part of the ruins, as represented in Buck's view, have been since taken down: the ancient roof of the hall, which was Sixty-eight feet by twenty-three feet nine inches, was removed by the Bertie family, to Chesterton in Oxfordshire, its place having been supplied by a common tiled roof; this room is now used as a barn. On the inside of the east wall is a corbel-table in that style of architecture which prevailed in the reign of Henry III. richly ornamented with foliage. The small remains of the cloisters are now a pig-stye. Round the cornice of an ancient room in the farm-house, is the Stafford knot, several times repeated, with the following inscription in black letters, "En lui plaisance."