The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Milton Keynes & Wolverton area, Volume 6", Peter Quick.
- War memorials in Loughton have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Milton Keynes & Wolverton area, Volume 6", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- War memorial details are also available online on the Roll of Honour web site.
In 1642 there were 62 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £3.0.7 of which sum Mr Baker rector contributed £0.13.4
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 76 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Loughton.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 302 inhabitants in 63 families living in 58 houses recorded in Loughton.
|Census Year||Population of Loughton|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
The original copies of the parish registers for All Saints, Loughton have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
|Christenings||1720 - 1886|
|Marriages||1720 - 1993|
|Burials||1720 - 1963|
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Loughton showed the following numbers:
|Loughton, All Saints||No data for 30 March 1851|
|30 - Morning Sunday Scholars |
60 - Afternoon General Congregation
130 - Evening General Congregation
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Loughton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Loughton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Loughton was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
LOUGHTON, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies three miles south-east of Stony-Stratford, near the great road to London. The manor was in the family of Ardres, from 1358 to 1414, afterwards successively in the families of Rushby, Lucy, Hopper, and Crane. In 1655 it was sold, together with the manor of Little Loughton, (which had been successively in the families of Wolverton, Loughton, Edy, Pigot, and Crane,) to the Holts, who continued possessed of them till within these few years. They are now the property of Mr. Swan. The demesnes of the manor of Great Loughton were sold to the Alstons, and by them, about the year 1699, to the Hanslapes. They are now, by descent, the property of Mr. Gee, of Newport.
In the church are some memorials for the family of Crane. The master and scholars of Trinity College, in Cambridge, are patrons of the rectory. The parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament, passed in 1768, when an allotment of land was assigned to the rector in lieu of tithes.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP838379 (Lat/Lon: 52.033186, -0.779847), Loughton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)