"This parish, lying on the borders of Bedfordshire, covers 1014 acres, of which a little more than half is arable land and the rest, except for some 40 acres of woodland, is pasture. The soil is a strong loam with a subsoil mainly of Oxford Clay, and the principal crops are wheat, beans, oats and roots. The land falls from the south, where it is about 300 ft. above the ordnance datum, towards the north, where the River Ouse forms the northern boundary. The parish was inclosed by Act of Parliament in 1810. The small village, which lies in a hollow in the north-east of the parish, is 3 miles west of Turvey station (Bedfordshire), on the Midland railway. At the eastern end of the village is St. Nicholas's Church, with the school and rectory to the south of it." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]
The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Dictionary of English Place-Names", A.D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1997, ISBN 0 19 28131 3
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Newport Hundred, Bucks, Volume 1", Peter Quick.
- War memorials in Newton Blossomville have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Newport Hundred, Bucks, Volume 1", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- War memorial details are also available online on the Roll of Honour web site.
In 1642 there were 33 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £1.16.8 of which sum Richard Lanton contributed £0.4.0
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 48 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Newton Blossomville.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 221 inhabitants in 49 families living in 41 houses recorded in Newton Blossomville.
|Census Year||Population of Newton Blossomville|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
The original copies of the parish registers for St Nicholas, Newton Blossomville have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
|Christenings||1730 - 1930|
|Marriages||1731 - 1909|
|Burials||1730 - 1812|
Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:
1754 - 1837
|Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society|
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Newton Blossomville showed the following numbers:
|65 - Morning General Congregation
52 - Morning Sunday Scholars
117 - Morning Total
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Newton Blossomville to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Newton Blossomville has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Newton Blossomville was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
NEWENTON, or NEWTON BLOSSOMVILLE, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies on the borders of Bedfordshire, about four miles west of Olney. The manor passed from the Blossomvilles, who possessed it at the time of Norman survey, by female heirs, to the families of Druel and Swinford. The noble family of Stafford were lords of the manor at a later period, till the attainder of the Duke of Buckingham, after which, it was granted to Walter Devereaux, Earl of Essex. Being again vested in the crown, it was granted to Thomas Crompton, who soon afterwards conveyed it to Lord Mordaunt. In 1649, it was purchased of the Mordaunt family, by an ancestor of the late William Farrer esq. whose grandson, Farrer Grove Spurgeon Farrer esq. of Cold Brayfield, is the present proprietor, and patron of the rectory.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP923515 (Lat/Lon: 52.154076, -0.652298), Newton Blossomville which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)