"The parish of Padbury covers 2013 acres, of which 1537 are pasture, 9 woodland and 332 arable. the soil is chiefly clay and gravel on a subsoil of Oxford Clay, which is worked for brick-making. the Lovatt River, a tributary of the Ouse, forms the parish boundary on the north and west, and its tributary, the Claydon Brook, formerly known as the 'Burn,' divides Padbury from Steeple Claydon. There is a station at Padbury on the Banbury branch of the London and North Western railway. The village stands at the meeting of the roads from Buckingham, Thornborough, Winslow and Steeple Claydon." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]
The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Buckingham Hundred, Volume 7", Peter Quick.
War memorials in Padbury have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Buckingham Hundred, Volume 7", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
In 1642 there were 22 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £1.12.6 of which sum Susan Harris contributed £0.7.0
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 122 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Padbury.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 459 inhabitants in 104 families living in 84 houses recorded in Padbury.
|Census Year||Population of Padbury|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):
The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary the Virgin, Padbury have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
|Christenings||1538 - 1908|
|Marriages||1538 - 1837|
|Banns||1754 - 1942|
|Burials||1538 - 1874|
Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:
1538 - 1837
|Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society|
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Padbury showed the following numbers:
|Padbury, St Mary the Virgin||No attendance figures are given in the return|
Primitive Methodist Chapel
|10 - Afternoon General Congregation|
10 - Afternoon Total
20 - Evening General Congregation
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
|74 - Morning Sunday Scholars|
198 - Afternoon General Congregation
189 - Evening General Congregation
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Padbury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Padbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Padbury was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
PADBURY, in the hundred and deanery of Buckingham, lies about three miles from Buckingham on the road to London. The manor was, till the year 1313, in the descendants of Maigno, the Briton, who held it at the time of the Norman Survey: they were barons of Wolverton, near Stony-Stratford, and took their surname from that place. In the year 1344, a partition being made between the co-heiresses of John de Wolverton, a purparty, or fourth party of this manor was assigned to Hugh Wake, who married his daughter Joan. Having become vested in the crown it was granted, in 1442, to All Souls' college in Oxford, and still belongs to that society. This manor was held under the college for some years by the families of Abell and Salisbury: the lease is now vested in the Rev. James Eyre of Buckingham. The impropriate rectory, at present in severalities, belonged to the priory of Bradwell, and after the suppression of that house, in 1526, was given to the monastery of Shene: the vicarage is in the gift of the crown. This parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament passed in 1795, when allotments of land were assigned to the impropriators and to the vicar.
The gallant Sir Charles Lucas being quartered at Padbury, with a party of the King's troops, in the beginning of July, 1643, defeated a detachment of the parliamentary army under Col. Middleton, who attempted to surprize him in his quarters. The burial of eight soldiers is entered in the register on the second of that month.
A bridge at Padbury was built, by act of parliament, in 1742, and made a county bridge.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP720307 (Lat/Lon: 51.970119, -0.953334), Padbury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)