QUAINTON, in the hundred of Ashendon and deanery of Waddesdon, lies about six miles and a half to the south west of Aylesbury. There are three manors in this parish, Denham, Dodershall, and Shipton-Lee, or Lee-Grange; one of these, but it is uncertain which, was, at an early period, in the families of Malet and Mussenden, and was then known by the name of Quainton-Malet. Denham, to which the advowson of the rectory was formerly annexed, is now the principal manor. It was many years ago the property and seat of the Iwardbys, afterwards of the Winwoods , from whom it passed by marriage to the noble family of Montagu. It is now the property of the Right Hon. Lord Francis Godolphin Osborne, a younger brother of the Duke of Leeds, to whom it came by bequest from the late Lord Godolphin. The house is inhabited by a tenant.
Dodershall belonged, in the reign of King Edward the Second, to a family of that name, afterwards to the Cranfords; of whom, about the year 1500, it was purchased by the ancestor of William Pigott esq. the present proprietor. It was for several years the seat of the dowager Viscountess Say and Sele, who held it in jointure from her second husband John Pigott esq.
Shipton-Lee, or Lee-Grange, was for many generations a seat of the Dormers; it was afterwards in the Plaistowes. About 1766, it became the propert of John Calcraft esq. the army agent; it now belongs to Thomas Quintin esq. of Hatley-St.George, in the county of Cambridge. At Lee-Grange was a chapel, now demolished.
In the parish church is a monument of the learned Orientalist Richard Brett, one of the translators of the Bible, and a fellow of Chelsea College, who was rector of Quainton from about the year 1595, till his death, which happened in 1637. The tomb of John Spencer, rector of this parish, who died in 1485, has his effigies on a brass plate of a large size in fine preservation. There are several monuments of the Dormers and Pigotts: among the former is that of Robert Dormer, one of the justices of the court of Common Pleas, who died in 1726, with his effigies in white marble, in his robes, and that of his widow in the attitude of a mourner. The monument of Sir Richard Pigott, who died in 1685, is a heavy piece of sculpture from a design of Leoni. In a chapel on the north side of the church is the monument of Richard Winwood esq. (son of Sir Ralph Winwood, King James's secretary) who died in 1688. He gave, by will, the sum of 200 l. to build eight alms-houses at this place for four widowers and four widows, and endowed them with lands in the parish for the payment of two shillings weekley to each, and providing them with gowns, &c.
The advowson is vested in the representatives of the late rector, Dr. Ekins, who died in 1791, being then dean of Carlisle.