RATCLIFFE, or RADCLIFFE, in the hundred and deanery of Buckingham, lies about a mile and a half west of the county-town. The manor belong in ancient times to the families of Iveri and St. Walery. From the latter it passed by a female heir to the family of St. Lis, some of whom were knights of the shire in the reigns of Edward II. and Edward III.: William of Wickham having purchased the manor of this family gave it to his newly founded college in Oxford.
The manor house was for some time a seat of the Dentons, afterwards of Sir William Smith bart. one of the representatives in parliament for the town of Buckingham, who made a park at Ratcliffe. It is now the property of Mr. Henry Smith of Charwelton in Oxfordshire.
The Marquis of Buckingham has a manor in this parish which belonged to the Temples.
The parish, which is called in ecclesiastical records Radcliffe cum Chackmore has been inclosed by an act of parliament passed in 1773, when an allotment was assigned to the rector in lieu of tithes, and a small allotment to the poor in lieu of their right to cut furze. The rectory is in the patronage of New college. It is probable that Chackmore, which is a hamlet of Ratcliffe, had formerly a chapel.