SHALLESTON, in the hundred and deanery of Buckingham, lies about four miles north-west of Buckingham near the road to Brackley. The manor was anciently in the Doyleys, afterwards (as early as the year 1202) in the Baynells, from whom it passed by heirs female to the families of Ayete and Purefoy. The last-mentioned family, after possessing this manor more than 350 years, became extinct in 1762, by the death of Henry Purefoy esq. Under Mr. Purefoy's will it is now the property of the Rev. George Huddleston Purefoy Jervoise, who is patron also of the rectory, and incumbent. He resides in the manor-house.
[Correction/Addition at the end of Magna Britannia states "The Rev. G.H.P. Jervoise died Nov. 3, 1805."]
In the parish church, a neat modern structure, are some monuments of the Purefoys, among which is that of Henry Purefoy above-mentioned, and of his mother, who, surviving him, died in 1765 at the age of 92. The parish of Shalleston has been inclosed by an act of parliament passed in 1767, when an allotment was assigned to the rector in lieu of all tithes excepting those of an estate then belonging to Mr. Taylor, which, under the act, was to continue titheable.