(including the hamlet of Eakley Lanes)
"STOKE GOLDINGTON, including the hamlet of Eakley Lanes, contains 2061 acres, and about 900 inhabitants. Rateable value, £2749. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Ouse, and on the north and west by Northamptonshire. Lipscomb writes :- "The soil is a strong clay, with a portion of mould, as it is here termed, or rich loam, with strata of limestone near the surface; and gravel in those parts which border the Ouse, and clay intermixed. Abundance of oyster-shells are found in the arable land; and it is remarkable that none of them are flat, but all nearly of similar shape, with so deep a convexity, that when two are found united, they are frequently almost spherical. On the north of the village is a Roman Road, on which is a steep ascent, called Angur's or Orgar's Hill." The Village is large and compact, and is seated in a hollow, 4 1/2 miles W.S.W. from Olney, and 4 1/2 miles N.W. from Newport Pagnell - in the road from the latter town to Northampton." [History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, by James Joseph Sheahan, 1862]
The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Dictionary of English Place-Names", A.D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1997, ISBN 0 19 28131 3
"History and Topography of Buckinghamshire", Sheahan, James Joseph, 1862
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Newport Hundred, Bucks, Volume 1", Peter Quick.
The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:
- Monumental Inscriptions for St Peter church are in the library* of the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- War memorials in Stoke Goldington have been transcribed by Peter Quick and published by the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- War memorial details are also available online on the Roll of Honour web site.
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
In 1642 there were 77 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £3.19.1 of which sum Mr Beelie parson contributed £1.0.0
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 115 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Stoke Goldington.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 636 inhabitants in 147 families living in 132 houses recorded in Stoke Goldington.
|Census Year||Population of Stoke Goldington|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891, 1901 Transcriptions are available free online - click here to see
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
The original copies of the parish registers for St Peter, Stoke Goldington have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
|Christenings||1538 - 1913|
|Marriages||1538 - 1950|
|Burials||1538 - 1858|
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Stoke Goldington showed the following numbers:
|200 - Afternoon General Congregation|
106 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars
306 - Afternoon Total
|66 - Morning General Congregation|
88 - Morning Sunday Scholars
154 - Morning Total
39 - Afternoon General Congregation
114 - Evening General Congregation
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stoke Goldington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stoke Goldington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Stoke Goldington was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
STOKE-GOLDINGTON, in the hundred and deanery of Newport, lies on the borders of Northamptonshire four miles and a half from Newport-Pagnell, in the road from that town to Northampton. There were anciently two manors, or moieties of manors, in this place; both of which are now the property of Miss Wrighte of Gothurst: one of these has passed by the same title as Gothurst; the other was anciently in the Peverells, whose heiress married into the family of Barentine: in 1344 it was given by the Barentines to the prior and convent of Ravenston. After the reformation, this estate became the property of the Mulso family; since which time it has passed in the same manner as the other estate. Miss Wrighte is patroness of the rectory, which was consolidated with Gothurst in 1736. The parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament passed in 1770, when an allotment of land was assigned to the rector in lieu of tithes &c. There is no charity school or alms-house in this parish.
Eakley, now united to Stoke-Goldington, was formerly a distinct parish, and had a chapel which was served once a month. There are two manors in Eakley; one of these, called Wolf's-fields, was purchased of the late Lord Winchelsea by the trustees of Dr. Busby's charities. Miss Wrighte's manor of Stoke is held under this manor by a quit rent of 2s. 4d. per annum. The other manor, called Eakley-Lane, was many years in the family of Lane, and is now held in trust for the representatives of the late Charles Lane, of St. Thomas street, Southwark, by Henry Cline esq. Another manor near Stoke-Goldington, called Gorefields, is extra-parochial; it is now the property of Miss Wrighte, whose father purchased it of the Wilkinsons.
[Correction/Addition at the end of Magna Britannia states "The manor Eakley-Lane was sold, in 1804, to Sir Robert Gunning bart."]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP837489 (Lat/Lon: 52.132075, -0.778608), Stoke Goldington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Stoke Goldington - The first part of this name derives from the old english word stoc, and means 'outlying farmstead or hamlet'. The second part, 'Goldington', derives from Peter of Goldington (Bedfordshire), who was an important tenant of the Honour of Peveral of Nottingham, to which the greater part of this place belonged.
- Eakley Lanes - The name derives from the old english words Iccan + leah, and means 'Icca's clearing'.