(including Bishopstone and part of Sedrup [the rest being in Hartwell])
"This parish, including Bishopstone, Littleworth, and part of Sedrup, contains 2590 acres and 785 inhabitants. The rateable value is £3422. The soil is rich and good, on a bed of white sand above the Kimmeridge clay. The sand is of a peculiarly fine description, and is found here in large quantities - the finest quality being used in the manufacture of glass. The Village is situated on the road from Aylesbury to Thame, 3 miles S.W. from the former town, and 7 miles N.E. from the latter. Market-gardening is carried on here to a large extent; and the manufacture of pillow-lace is the chief employment of the females. Stone (anciently Stane, a station) gave name to the old hundred in which it was situated, but since merged in the modern hundred of Aylesbury." [History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, by James Joseph Sheahan, 1862]
The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Contributions for Ireland 1642", Wilson J., 1983.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"History and Topography of Buckinghamshire", Sheahan, James Joseph, 1862
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Aylesbury Hundred part two, Town and Environs, Volume 8", Peter Quick.
War memorials in Stone have been transcribed by Peter Quick, and published in a booklet entitled "War Memorials and War Graves: Aylesbury Hundred part two, Town and Environs, Volume 8", available from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
In 1642 there were 32 people named in the tax returns for contributions for Ireland. Between them they were assessed at £3.16.9 of which sum Mrs Dover contributed £0.7.0
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 81 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Stone.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 515 inhabitants in 113 families living in 103 houses recorded in Stone.
|Census Year||Population of Stone|
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
The original copies of the parish registers for St John the Baptist, Stone have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
|Christenings||1538 - 1959|
|Marriages||1538 - 1996|
|Burials||1538 - 1950|
Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:
1538 - 1837
|Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society|
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Stone showed the following numbers:
St John the Baptist
|68 - Morning General Congregation|
43 - Morning Sunday Scholars
111 - Morning Total
98 - Afternoon General Congregation
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stone to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Stone has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Stone was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
STONE, in the hundred of Aylesbury and deanery of Wendover, lies nearly three miles west of Aylesbury, on the road to Thame. The manor was anciently in the family of Braci, afterwards in that of Whittingham. It has been since held for many years by the Lees with the adjoining manor of Hartwell, and is now the property of the Rev. Sir George Lee bart.
The parish church which was consecrated in 1273, retains some vestiges of the architecture of that period. The rectory was given by the Braci family to the priory of Oseney. By the act of parliament which passed for inclosing this parish in 1776, it appears that the Lees were entitled to the great tithes of Southwarp in Stone, and the earl of Chesterfield to those of the remainder of the parish. Allotments of land were then assigned to the impropriators and to the vicar, who was entitled to the tithes of hay. Sir George Lee is patron and incumbent of the vicarage.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP783123 (Lat/Lon: 51.803869, -0.865816), Stone which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
The name of Stone derives from the old english word stanas, and means 'stones'. This reference may be to some boundary or perhaps the stones which marked the Hundred meeting-place.
The following is a list of societies and groups specifically for this parish or village and which relate to either local, or family history.
- Stone Local History Group - collecting and recording all aspects of village life. Contact: Mrs Sylvia Sherwood, 20a Belle Vue, Stone, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP17 8PJ, united Kingdom